Friday, July 10, 2020

Friday Food 0710-20

Over the last thirty years I have discovered how difficult and boring it can be to prepare meals for one person.   Cooking was actually enjoyable when I cooked for two or a crowd.  Although, admittedly, the most I ever served was 30 people and that was only a couple times.   Now I more frequently "assemble" meals for myself and sometimes I use the recipes I have for pancakes for one or how to make four biscuits.  Not very often though.   Usually I shop for ingredients that can be combined into a one plate meal.  Now that tomatoes are available from local farmers markets and also from my friend Carol, I am eating all I can tolerate.  They are delicious just "plain so" as my MIL used to refer to food items with nothing added.  


Fifth of July dinner. 
Trader Joe's cocktail meatballs are very tasty and quick to heat in the microwave.  I sometimes add salsa or some bottled sauce, but mostly just "plain so".  And there is always broccoli in my veggie drawer.  Tomatoes from Carol. 


Tonight I had "Clean Out the Refrigerator Salad" and it was quite delicious.   And very pleasing to the eye also. 

Cottage cheese, radishes, broccoli, celery, tomatoes from Carol, blueberries, and Brianna's poppy seed dressing.  

Unfortunately, I also had a small slice of the marvelous carrot cake which is now just a memory.  Otherwise it was a very heallthy dinner. 
#   #   #

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I think you earned that carrot cake! (Especially since it was a small one).

You might like Budget Bytes, if you ever need inspiration. I don't worry about the budget, but I like her approach. She sometimes has "inspirations" as much as recipes; likes bowl meals; has one-pot meals; tells what is freezable; pays attention to health... The thing I least like is that she uses quite a bit of cheese (inexpensive protein, I guess). https://www.budgetbytes.com/