Sunday, July 12, 2020

Quilts in the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection - Freddy Moran 07-12-20

This post is from  September 24, 2008, and I am reposting it today because it is Freddy's birthday.  As far as I know she does not have a website or do e-mail or Facebook, so the only way to wish her Happy Birthday is to send a card or call her.  
This quilt is very bright as are most of Freddy's work.  Sorry I don't have a better image. 

"Orange Peel Surprise" Freddy Moran 1997 
62" square  Cotton fabrics. 
I saw Freddy sewing the binding on this quilt in the hotel lobby at PIQF in Santa Clara. It was instant love! I didn't even ask the price when I told her I would buy it. Several months later I received the quilt and the bill. I was surprised at the price, but, as you see, I paid up and added the quilt to the TCQC. The moral is, I suppose, that one should ask first and then decide. But don't wait too long, a really great quilt will be gone in a flash - I have missed several by waiting too long to decide.
This quilt was sewn with Karen Stone papers in Freddy's unique choice of fabrics and colors. The 'surprise' is on the back - a wonderful bright fabric with cupcakes and hats and noisemakers. I always tell viewers that there is a birthday party on the back.
Freddy does not have a website.
#   #   #

3 comments:

sonja said...

did i recall she loved red and the more color the merrier? Happy birthday fellow moon child Freddy, in love with All color, all of them!!

Sally Morris said...

It's Freddy's 90th! The Quilt Show today has a nice tribute on Facebook and at 10:00 will have some sort of celebration as well I believe. Hope we can all be as active and creative as Freddy when we reach that milestone!!!

Loretta said...

Happy Birthday Freddy! Another Freddy quilt that causes all of us to smile and wonder how? Small pieces, lots of colors and, of course, black and white with DOTS! Freddy's favorite fabrics. And did you know? -- RED IS A NEUTRAL!