Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Quilts from SAQA 2020 online auction #7 10-28-20

A friend pointed this quilt out to me and every time I looked at it I was more intrigued.  The maker is from SCalifornia and recently had an exhibit at a San Diego gallery.  I was not able to drive down to see it, but did look at some of her work online.  I like this one best of all,  And it does have a bird!

"Chicken Girl"  Tracy Potter - California  2020  12" square
Linen handkerchief with embroidery, commercial cottons, photographs printed on fabric, hand embroidery, machine pieced and embroidered. 

I don't know the method for transferring the image to fabric, but I believe it was black and white with the color added afterward, possibly with colored pencil.  

You can see the embroidered flowers on the original hanky along with some thread drawing in the background, possibly hand done many years ago.  And the artist has added blanket stitch around the outside edge using red perle cotton.  The background is entirely covered in random straight stitches, frequently referred to as seed stitch. 

 
From the front the border looks like polka dots, but now you see that the fabric is printed with white eggs, a witty tie-in to the front. 


And Tracy has listed her website on the label.  Thank You, Tracy.
#   #   #


 

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

What fun to see a name I recognize! Tracy used to be in my guild, and I have visited her studio during an open studio event in Ramona.

Rebecca said...

Oh, and that is a fun quilt. Nice job pointing out the details.

Loretta said...

Love this quilt...using grandmommy's old hankie...perfect. Adding a photo to fabric is a reasonably simple matter these days...just need a good printer! See Wen Redmond's work for more details! Each element of this little quilt has been thoughtfully planned. It is truly lovely and provides wonderful inspiration. Thank you for sharing.

Sonia said...

This one caught my eye early on. So glad to hear that you were the lucky
bidder. A wonderful and whimsical addition to your bird collection.