Sunday, November 1, 2020

Del's Quilts Calm in Chaos 11-01-20

This is the quilt I use as my "logo" and several people have asked about it lately., so I went back in my photo files and found some pictures.  At the time self portraits were a "thing" and I did several, some invented and some inspired by teachers' work.  This one just grew from my box of fused scraps.  I never want to throw any of them away, but what to do with them?  How about a chaotic background?  I do tend to stand this way, perhaps since I was a very shy little girl who never knew what to do with her arms.  I don't mean to look judgmental.  


"Calm in Chaos"  Del Thomas  -  California  2005  
 24"W x 32"L    Machine pieced, appliqued, quilted. 
Commercial and hand-dyed cottons, nylon netting, cotton thread, cotton batting, polyester thread. 


Of course there are several birds, here is a little green one.   Female Lesser Goldfinch, perhaps.

This did travel to several exhibits, so it has a proper label. 

Pieces pulled from the scrap box for the back. 

#   #   #

4 comments:

Carol said...

It’s great to see it again! A favorite.

Loretta said...

Thank you for sharing again. Love this portrait of you....happy and busy! Take care.

Martha Ginn said...

I love the quilt; had never seen it but I liked your image for your online portrait. Lots of fun fabric play going on!

Mary Ann said...

Calm in Chaos, very fitting. Hope you are healing.