Saturday, January 9, 2021

Food again! 01-09-21

I was talking to a friend about how much we miss going out for lunch and I mentioned some of my favorite places, generally in Orange County.  There are a number of locations for The Hat, but the one I go to occasionally is in Lake Forest, which is right off the I-5.  They are famous for their pastrami, I think it is the best I have ever had and our conversation gave me a craving for some pastrami.  That said, I don't think it was as good this time.  Yesterday when I was out for PTherapy, I drove up to Brea and waited in line (it was lunch time) for half an hour to buy a pastrami sandwich.  There is always so much meat in the sandwich that I bring it home, open it up to remove the meat, put about a third of the meat back in the roll and heat it slightly in the microwave.  I like to add just a bit of mayo, but no mustard.  Delicious.  The remainder of the meat I refrigerate and prepare it in different ways for two more meals.  Tonight with broccoli and rice.  Tomorrow night probably with the rest of an avocado that languishes in the frig.  Or maybe I will scramble some pastrami in with a couple eggs. 

Like almost everyone I talk to I am bored with my own food and want to go out and be waited on!  However, the "body count" in SCalifornia is off the charts and I want to avoid the virus.  I now know several people who have Covid and are suffering, but not hospitalized.  The prediction is that the infection rate is only going to increase.  Restaurants are not supposed to be seating people - take out only - but the outdoor seating areas in many restaurants are occupied, which is one reason the infection rate continues to climb.  I imagine I will be home alone for quite a while yet until I am eligible for the vaccine.   Hope you are all staying safe and keeping well.  


I didn't remember that there are eleven locations.  I have only been to two. 

Well wrapped in paper the server cuts it in two and wraps it even more. There are pickles. 

 
Not too fatty or too salty. 

At least two more meals.

#   #   #

1 comment:

Loretta said...

Oh my!!!! Wow!! Being a New Yorker, I MISS the wonderful delis! The rye bread with edges that were crisp and chewy to the bread with caraway seeds and a bit tart to the taste...slathered with a sharp mustard and corned beef just dripping with juices! Oh dear, how I miss those great flavors! And, of course, with a sour pickle on the side!!! Enjoy your leftovers...they are the best. Take care and stay well. Pats to KoKo!