Sunday, April 11, 2021

Master quilters 04-11-21

 I'm glad that several people have sent me this link because I'm sure I would have missed out on seeing these great quilts.   The four artists were in a critique group with Ruth B. McDowell for quite a few years.  So, I have watched their work for decades.  Nancy Halpern's "Archipelago", which is part of the collection at New England Museum of Quilts, is one of my top ten favorite quilts.  The Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection does not have quilts by any of the four artists, someone always seems to be there first when their quilts go up for sale.  Anyway, it is just great to be able to see this video and enjoy the commentary by Nancy Halpern and Rhoda Cohen.   Ten  years ago I might have flown back to MA to see this exhibit, but not something I can do these days.  Sad. 

 

"Archipelago"   Nancy Halpern - Massachusetts  1983  96"W X 74.5"L

#   #   #

5 comments:

sonja said...

So beautiful in a windswept way!
thanks for sharing !!

abelian said...

Thanks for the link, Del! I, too, have followed their work for years. And I agree, Nancy Halpern’s quilt is a masterpiece. Dottie

Loretta said...

Oh my, just fabulous....inspiration galore! Their fabrics and the uses thereof are extraordinary....I can see how the four plus Ruth are able to share fabric thoughts together! Thank you for sharing. I have a quilter friend back in Conn. and am sending her the museum info. Stay well.

Sonia said...

I was privileged to see the Nancy Halpern piece displayed in the "100 Best Quilts of the 20th Century" many years ago in Houston. You just can't beat seeing art in person. Photos never can do them justice. A favorite of mine then and still is.

Kay Taylor said...

"Archipelago" is one of my favorites, also. I was privileged to take a class with Nancy one year at a conference my quilt guild held. She was such a great teacher!