Sunday, July 18, 2021

Ann Johnston quilt in TCQC 07-18-21

I am trying to get back to posting a quilt from the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection each Sunday evening.  I could show a different quilt for about six years since there are now 370+ pieces in the Collection.  The post below is from 09-13-15 and I still enjoy this quilt as much as I did the first time I saw it almost two decades ago.  The art quilt group I belong to is working on an exhibit titled "Balance", my piece won't look anything like this, but I can't help but think of this one as I develop  ideas.  I do so admire Ann's work and her fabulous hand dyed fabrics.  

                                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes I see a quilt that just won't leave me alone.  This is one of them.  I had looked at this quilt on Ann Johnston's website for a number of years, until I finally had to buy it in 2013.  There are several things that thrill me.  The color, of course, Ann is a master dyer.  The black and white applique, and the tension created by the balancing "chairs" create a quilt that I can look at again and again.  

"Balance #19"  Ann Johnston 2002  40" x 36" 
Hand dyed cotton fabric by the artist, machine appliqued and quilted. . 
 
I appreciate the various layers of quilting using different colors of thread. 

#   #   #

No comments: