Friday, July 30, 2021

Friday Food 07-30-21

This watermelon salad is one of my summer favorites.  But I can't make just a little bit, so I eat it several days in a row.  I suppose I could share some with one of my neighbors, but some how I don't manage to do that.  

The recipe, such as it is, came from a blog friend in Australia.  Maybe some of you know Meg Messervy.  She shared it with me in July 2009 and I have been making it every summer since. She told me then that she had the recipe from a friend who received it from a restaurant in America.  What she sent me all those years ago was:
"I made a lovely saled for my tea, using watermelon, orange, radishes & mixed green leaves, with olives and a light dressing of fresh lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil."  

We talked back and forth about prep.  We agree that slicing the radishes a bit thick was best and using small greens was better than cut up romaine.  I don't mix in the greens because they tend to wilt in the leftovers, so I just mix them in when I serve up a bowl..  We both buy sliced black olives in cans.  As for how much of each, it is dependent on what is available, I guess.  I use a "personal" watermelon and only half of that, cut into about one inch chunks. (Dolcinea is the best brand, I think).  One large orange and a bunch of radishes, which is usually about six good sized ones.  Radishes are not always available, but they are a necessary ingredient.  I add a couple stalks of celery because I like celery and it adds a little more crunch.  This picture shows my largest mixing bowl and I have removed one cereal bowl full for my dinner.  So you can see it makes a lot.  Mixing the olive oil and fresh lemon juice seems to make a better dressing than just pouring them in individually.  

It is hard to believe that twelve years have gone by since Meg sent me the recipe.  We don't hear from each other often anymore.   I don't know if she still checks my blog.  But I will send this post to her so she can know how much I am still enjoying her special salad.  I have posted about this salad three previous times. 08-10-09, 06-25-14, 07-20-18.
#   #   #


 

No comments: