Monday, July 26, 2021

Sue Benner quilt in TCQC 07-26-21

This was the second of Sue Benner's quilts I added to the Collection and posted to this blog on Dec 27, 2010.  It was offered at an online auction by San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles.  I enjoy the obvious spontaneity of the pieces, all fused - lapping, on top of, repeated, and quilted with a wonky grid.  I have cropped the image of the front so the corner tassels don't show.  

"Checks & Bars Jumble" Sue Benner 2009 11" x 11" Fused and machine quilted.

Various fabrics, commercial and hand-dyed/painted.

Sue is very inventive in her quilt making. I have taken her classes at Empty Spools and elsewhere and she does challenge her students. 

A solid back - Marimekko fabric with title and signature in gold. One of Sue's signature techniques is leaving the tails on the threads she uses to overcast the edges of her quilts. Whenever I hang one of her quilts I fear that some helpful quilter will whip out scissors from her purse and trim off those dangling threads.
#   #   #

 

2 comments:

Martha Ginn said...

I love this riot of color and overlapping fabrics. And the wonky grid quilting. And thread tails on the zigzag edges. And the fact that you added it to your collection!

Sherrie Spangler said...

I like her big gold signature on the back!