Sunday, August 22, 2021

Sunday again and here is another quilt from TCQC.   This is one of twelve that I purchased in the last century.  Doesn't that sound odd?  I started collecting contemporary quilts (now called art quilts) in 1985 but didn't have a lot of extra money and then life got in the way for about a decade.  So, all but twelve quilts have been added since 2000.  This piece is one of the very early additions and I am still glad I bought it and enjoy having it hanging sometimes.

                          

"Absolutes"  Cynthia Corbin  1994  35"W x 56"L
Machine pieced and quilted.  Cotton fabric, thread, batting.
 
I met Cynthia Corbin at Empty Spools Seminars at Asilomar.  We were in a couple Ruth McDowell classes together in the early 1990s.  I admired her work then and still do today, but have never added another of her quilts to the Collection. I believe this was started in one of Ruth's Symmetry classes and the "border" was added after Cynthia was home in her studio.  I love the addition of brown in the border and those swirling "ribbons" pop out the center panel and add a lot of motion to the composition.  Cynthia lives in the Seattle area.
#   #   #
 

1 comment:

Martha Ginn said...

Del, I am happy to learn about Cynthia Corbin. I read some of her posts and admire her rational thinking. Will look at more of her art.