Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Doctor Day Sep 26, 2007

Some things are better just done all at once. So every September, my birthday month, I have the medical tests all women should have after a certain age and a visit with my doctor. Today I had a bone scan to see how the Forteo injections are working to prevent more broken bones and I had a complete physical. My doctor assures me that I passed the 'mental faculties' part with no sign of deterioration - so I can stop worrying about that. I still think one of the causes of my forgetfulness is lack of sleep. I just cannot sleep more than three hours without a trip to the bathroom and then it is almost impossible to get back to sleep. She suggests a visit to a sleep clinic. Maybe I will have to do it.
I had a note today from Joan Sowada a Wyoming quiltmaker whose small (1 foot square) quilt, "Pink Purses in Rome", I purchased from an online auction. I admire her quilts - they are amazing. You can see more of her work at http://www.avacenter.org/usergallery.php?ID=10

My Book Group met tonight. I joined this already formed group in the late 1970s, maybe 1978, and four of the original members have continued all these years. I don't think there have been more than a dozen members at any one time, and in recent years we have been seven or eight. Our monthly meetings in the homes of the members are really more of a friendship meeting with a very short (and sometimes no) discussion about the book. Each month the hostess chooses the book for the following month, so we have a very eclectic reading list. This month the book was "Gonzalez and Daughter Trucking Company" by Maria Ampero Escondon, which we all seemed to enjoy. It is an unusual fictional story with strongly defined characters and a somewhat startling conclusion. Summer at Tiffany by Marjorie Hart is the book for October. Currently on my nightstand is "An Hour Before Daylight" a memoir by President Jimmy Carter telling (as far as I have read) of his family and childhood in rural Georgia during the Depression and war years. And John Grisham's new book "Playing for Pizza".


No comments: