Sunday, September 30, 2007

The touch of the past Sep 29, 2007

Not long ago I was talking with a friend about the things we treasure that come from a parent or relative. Since then I have thought about what I have that most evokes my mother for me. This was her grater. I took it from the her kitchen after her funeral, before I returned to California. That was 35 years ago, but the grater is probably 60 or maybe 70 years old. I threw my box grater in the Goodwill box and have used this one ever since. And I think of Mom every time I use it.
When I count up the years that I lived 'at home' they are very few, only about twelve! It took her many years to forgive me for moving away from Portland after high school, however we eventually got on good terms. But, good times or bad, that mother connection is always there, isn't it? You are always part of her and she is always part of you. Regardless of the miles or years that separate you.
How amazing that some people have their mother in their lives for sixty or seventy years!

No comments: