Monday, October 1, 2007

Flowers & a quilt connection 01 Oct 2007

Summer and fall are overlapping seasons here. The blossoms linger on the crape myrtle trees, but the leaves have begun to turn. Of course, a lot of leaves here just turn brown and fall off! But if we have a drop in early morning temperature the crape myrtle leaves are a gorgeous blend of dark red/bright red/orange/ yellow. I think they have one of the prettiest shows of fall color. This image includes blossoms, leaves and seed pods left from the previous year. It is a common street tree in Orange County, CA.


Every month I receive an e-mail from the Quilt Study Center at Uof Nebraska alerting me to the quilt of the month. I enjoy seeing antique quilts even though I don't actively collect them and the QSC has some fabulous quilts in their collection. They sometimes select quilts by contemporary artists -
Dec 06 Michael James, Feb 07 Emily Richardson,
Apr 07 shows Elizabeth Brimelow's "Low Meadow" which simply takes my breath away every time I see it. Look in the archives to find other quilts from recent years.

http://www.quiltstudy.org/quilts/quilt_of_the_month.html


Instructions for subscribing are here:
http://www.quiltstudy.org/quilts/quilt_of_the_month/join.html




No comments: