Sunday, October 21, 2007

Shielded from the wind 10-21-07



The wind is howling and, as you may have heard on the news, there are at least seven wildfires burning in Los Angeles County. Placentia is in Orange County to the southwest and, so far, no fires burning here. I doubt, however, that anyone is resting easy. Although there is no undeveloped property in this city, which is surrounded by Fullerton, Anaheim and Yorba Linda, the threat of fire is a constant in this land of little rain. One spark that gets away, pushed by 80mph wind gusts, can burn up a neighborhood. I worry enough for all of us, I'm sure!
It looks as though the firethorn (pyracantha) is on fire! I haven't seen any birds feasting, but maybe the berries are not quite ripe enough. When I am ironing or rotary cutting I can see over the short wall at the back of the yard and across to the park and the firethorn - green leaves, white flowers, red berries in different seasons. Today I have been enjoying the view whilst I am working on a quilt I started at least a year ago. So long ago that I have forgotten exactly what I intended to do! Time does slip away!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: