Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Smoke coming back! 10-24-07

I tried to take a picture of the very red sun about 1/2 hour before sunset, but it came out white! Why is that? The Santana winds have died down and the usual onshore flow is returning. This resulted in more smoke today than yesterday! The news pundits say it is the smoke being blown back off the ocean onto the land. I'm not sure I believe that. But however it happened it was a bad lung day and every time I stepped out the door my chest started caving in! (That is what it feels like - something sitting on my chest. I have a lot of sympathy for Marie Osmond). I had to go out for a very short time, so I wore a TB paper mask and I didn't have any problems. I can't imagine what problems are in the future for the people who have endured the smoke and ash. Unfortunately, the symptoms can take weeks to manifest themselves. Research done with survivors of the 2003 fires showed that people who already had lung problems had fewer repercussions from the pollutants. The researchers believe this is because those people knew they had to protect themselves, whereas people without previous problems didn't give protection a second thought. I hope I have been careful enough - I don't want a bronchial infection out of this!
I have been working on a quilt. Well, on a couple, as is my habit. I don't know why I can't just create one at a time, but without a deadline to force me to do so, I don't. With an important deadline pressing I can work harder at being focused. No deadline? No focus!
I think Jill Rumoshosky Werner's blog post today about courtesy from those in charge of exhibits to the artists involved is very timely. Check it out at: http://wernerstudio.typepad.com/redefined/
Posted by Picasa

No comments: