Thursday, December 6, 2007

Skinny strips #1 12-05-07


Over the last few years I have done a few quilts with fused skinny strips. The quilt above is "Grasses Return" a 12"square quilt I made last winter. And you saw the strips in my Dec 29th post showing my number one quilt in progress. But I hadn't thought of layering them different directions until I read Virginia Spiegel's Sep 28th post about skinny strips. You can read about Virginia's techniques at http://www.virginiaspiegel.com/blog/archives/category/technique-talk/



I kept thinking about what she was doing and decided I had to try it myself. I made up a layer of scraps on WUnder, fused some Misty Fuse on top and sliced the resulting 'fabric' into strips. This afternoon I was playing with the strips, but wasn't happy with anything I did with them. So I have layered them onto backing fabric and will be adding some more layers on top. I don't think what I come up with will look anything like Virginia's work. Many of us can use the same basic techniques to create something unique which reflects our 'voice'. Doing the experimenting is necessary - as Yoda said, "Don't think, don't try, just do." Good words to remember.

No comments: