Thursday, February 14, 2008

Places that disappear 02-13-08


I took this photo (and a bunch more) last April when I pulled over where Hwy 152 and Hwy 156 meet east of San Juan Bautista. I've seen this derelict 'hacienda' for years and I don't know what made me stop to photograph it on this trip. Look beyond the trash and graffiti and see the once lovely tiled fountain along the pathway. A few years ago it didn't look quite so rundown, I suppose that once the state acquired the parcel to facilitate a road widening and straightening project there was no further maintenance done. At any rate, the wall, gate, fountain, etc., are all gone now to accommodate our growing need for fast roads. This particular intersection really needs the makeover as there have been some horrendous accidents here. But I'll miss this remnant of 'old California'. "Old" in California can be the 1950s!!



Posted by Picasa

No comments: