Friday, April 18, 2008

Writing from Lake Havasu 04-18-08

Yes, I am on the road again!! After only fifteen hours at home I left at 6:30am today to drive out here to Corky's house in Lake Havasu City, AZ. His parents have a meeting on Sunday and they can't take the Poodle Prince, so I will have him Sunday to Wednesday when the two of us will drive back to Placentia and Long Beach. I thought this would be a great place to relax and try to catch up with myself. And it may be, but even after a two hour nap today I am just wiped out tonight.

Along I-40 the landscape becomes more dry and barren with each mile. The foreground here is the strip between the two directions of traffic.

Several small mountain ranges are crossed by I-40, which stretches out mostly straight - mile after mile. Notice the plants on the verge, they are larger and healthier than those even ten feet away, because the soil was irrigated when the road was built. And because they have the benefit of the water that runs off the roadway - they drink it all before it gets to other, smaller plants.


Lots of plants blooming - here is a Palo Verde tree (Cercidium microphyllum) in full flower.



This is the Colorado River just east of Needles, CA., bending south to form Lake Havasu. I love these spiky mountains and many others with strange shapes. There is one called Cupcake Mountain, but I think it looks more like a muffin. "Muffin Mountain" has a certain ring, I think!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: