Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Quilts for Corky & QFO 07-02-08

The other day I posted a picture of Corky's new pillow and got back some comments from readers whose dogs like a pillow. And also comments from two people who have cats with quilts, no pillow.

This is Corky's quilt (34"W X 46"L). It is like a G'ma quilt which stays at G'ma's house. This is a Camp Del quilt, he only uses it when he is here. It has a sentimental meaning to me because the blocks came from the estate of a dear friend. She had made hundreds of these 4-1/2" blocks, possibly for a king sized quilt, and there was extra fabric with the blocks. I still had some left in the box when I started having Corky here, so I sewed up a quilt for him. I think Betty would be pleased.

Most of the blocks went into quilts made by a group I belonged to. Called QFO, short for 'Quilts For Others', the group met monthly for about eight years - we sewed, visited, and had lunch. But the time came when too many of us couldn't do it anymore and the group disbanded.

The group made many quilts with this pattern -it doesn't have a name that I know of. We "invented' it, but it may have been around for years and none of us had seen it. It is an easy pattern - rotary cut and strip pieced - so we used it a lot. And I am still using it. It was fun to made a few scrappy versions with all the same color backgrounds, but not the same fabric, and the narrow strips in lots of different colors. I liked it and I hope the receiver did also.

These are six inch blocks - the quilt is 41"W X 53"L.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

meggie said...

I am making a 'comfort quilt' (my name) for a young girl who has a terrible home life. She stays with my daughter often, & is a friend of my Granddaughter. This block might be nice to use for the quilt! At present I have only cut the 41/2" blocks, with a lot of cats- she loves cats. This might be a way of unifying the blocks.