Sunday, September 14, 2008

Autumn Flowering Bulbs 09-13-08

On our walk today Corky and I saw these lovely white blooms. My first thought was the autumn flowering Colchicum. But I'm not entirely sure they aren't an autumn blooming crocus. If I can catch the lady of the house in, I'll ask her. She has a gorgeous garden and at one time did a business in her garage providing flower arrangements for weddings.

Quite a few years ago I was in the hospital for quite a while after a surgery and a dear friend came to visit and brought three Colchicum bulbs. I wondered what she thought I could do with them in a hospital room. She took them out of the bag and put them on the window sill, saying keep an eye on them. A few days later the bulbs had all put up shoots and in another few days they bloomed! What an amazing plant! They do better and last longer if they are planted in soil - mine lasted and multiplied for years. I dug some up to transplant when we moved, but they didn't like their location and never did bloom. In these pictures the flower stalks are coming up through a bed of violets, so you are not seeing the leaves which come on when the bulb has almost completed flowering.

In the same yard I saw this rooster hiding behind the Society Garlic and New Zealand flax. I've seen him before, but with my recent chicken exposure in SJBautista I guess I am more chicken conscious!

1 comment:

meggie said...

Those flowers look like the Autumn Crocus we have here in Australia.
Love to see the flax, reminds me of home!