Sunday, November 2, 2008

A few more from PIQF 11-01-08

I am a great fan of Pamela Allen's, I think one reason is that she does wonderful things that I cannot - because I am too structured in my thinking. I will have a class with her in the spring and I hope I don't get an "F". Maybe I should practice!!
BUGS AND OTHER LIVING THINGS - Pamela Allen 2006 , 57"x42"
"A sort of micro view of the garden, one that I learned to enjoy once the grandchildren explored our backyard with me. Little people see the little things!"
Shown at Aullwood Audubon Museum 2006, Chandler Art Center 2006 /07, PIQA 2008. This quilt is covered with bugs, including gold metal snakes, grasshoppers and fish (not a bug, I know).

 

Notice that Pamela put a little box in the fairy's left hand - for the teeth or for the money? Gotta be the teeth, all that money wouldn't fit in there.

I guess I was so impressed with the traditional quilt below that I forgot to photograph the sign, so Jackie kindly e-mailed a copy of the sign info.
“Nearly Insane” Jackie Seidell - Walnut Creek 90”W x 90”L
"This quilt is a reproduction of an 1870’s Pennsylvania quilt made by Salinda Rupp. Liz Lois drafted each block from a picture of the original quilt that she found in a book at a friends garage sale. There are 98 six-inch blocks that are all different. Some were quite simple, but some were very challenging (block #18 has 229 pieces). I was inspired to make this quilt because of the challenge of piecing the intricate blocks. Each square was like a miniature quilt. I also wanted to try using the original color combinations which I find fascinating."
I think the colors are brighter 'in-the-fabric', but I still have the problem of photos getting darker when I transfer them to Blogger. Awesome workmanship and it hangs square and flat.

 
This quilt is 64"W x 65"L.
Both Mary and I think this is another knockout quilt. It was in the "New Quilts from Northern California" so there isn't much information about it. The colors are wonderful - perhaps even brighter than this. I'd like to take a class with Angie Woolman, I see so many great quilts from her students.
Sandi's choice of quilting pattern may have been inspired by the great Marimekko cherry fabric in the top middle of this photo. If you click to enlarge you can see that the pattern is vertical rows of big cherries, each attached to the one below with a long stem. Whimsical.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

meggie said...

I just love that Tooth Fairy! How wonderful the mind that created that!
In light of my current toothy problems, I would love to have it to look at every day.

Terry Grant said...

Oh how I love Pamela Allen's work and wish I could be as free and whimsical. I guess I am like you in that I guess I am too structured.

bailey said...

Thanks so much for all the time and effort it takes to post these amazing quilts. And I REALLY love that magic ability to click and get the big close-up view...it's like a whole new world when you can see all the details.