Friday, October 31, 2008

More PIQF 10-31-08

Three more wonderful quilts and why I like them! Tomorrow I will post the last of the PIQF quilts unless someone I asked on e-mail responds and says it is okay to post their quilt. Then I get back to my mundane life, but I will still post a quilt from TCQC each Sunday night.


I have always admired Charlotte Patera's work. She introduced reverse applique in the style of the San Blas Indians to the quilting world. She has had five books published, all are out of print. The two in my library are: "The Applique Book" was published in 1974 and "Mola Making" came out in 1984. One of Charlotte's quilts is touring with Quilt National. When I saw it at the Quilt National opening in May 2007 I had my checkbook out fast, but, alas, someone beat me to it. I still mourn.



This is the first picture I took at PIQF this year, it is a delight of color and I, also, am fond of Iris. The Iris are done with soft edge applique, giving them a textured surface that seems so right for this garden scene
You can see about twenty tiny thumbnails of her work at:
Terry Waldron had several quilts at PIQF this year. She lives and teaches in SCalifornia and is a member of guilds that I belong to. So, I have seen her work over the years and watched it get better and better.
I like the colors and think the balance is perfect. I didn't look close enough at the grass to see how she did it, but it is very effective, especially against the two textures of blue in the background.
From a distance the developed seed head could almost fool you into believing it is real.www.terrywaldron.com
You also might be interested in looking at the website of the group 12x12 which challenges its twelve members to create a 12" square quilt on a certain subject. Their first challenge was the dandelion.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Thank you for the reference to our group Del, and thanks for showing your favorites from PIQF. I didn't get there this year, but it's my favorite show.

Kristin L said...

Thanks from me too for plugging our group. Thanks for sharing the PIQF quilts as well -- it's great for those of us who can't be there in person. Terry's dandelion is lovely, and you know I'm drooling over the Pam Allen quilts!