Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Great Outdoors 11-19-08

This first photo is a fabric image of the "great outdoors". I am finally doing a little quilting again. When I was "digging out" I came across quite a few UFOs (which were also Forgotten Objects), this is one of them. I don't have a clue when I started it - maybe 7 or 8 years ago. It is quite small, only 12 inches square, and I thought, "Aha, I'll finish it up for the SAQA auction." But that didn't happen. Maybe next year. Can you imagine some one's inability to quilt one 12" square quilt in six months or so? However, just quilting part of it is a healthy sign that I am returning to my life.

It doesn't have a name yet. Maybe "In the shadows" or simply "Bird Under Tree". After all, I have done six with the title "Bird in a Tree" with the addition of the appropriate numerals.

This picture of a majestic elk is off the Internet and I have no attribution. If someone knows who the photographer is, please let me know. He takes my breath away, but I'm not sure I would want him in my front yard.

It came to me under the subject: "Summertime in a Rocky Mountain Suburb" and made the point that humans are en roaching on the habitat of wildlife, so they should not be unhappy when the wildlife take back some of their territory. It is a difficult problem. I have a lot of sympathy for the wildlife, but I must admit I loath the coyotes that lurk in my neighborhood. They have eaten many cats and, I think, all the wild rabbits. Now, with the fires so close, I am even more concerned about finding them in my backyard drooling over Corky barking his head off behind closed windows. The people who look out their window and see the elk eating their expensive landscaping probably feel the same way - resentful.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Karen Stiehl Osborn said...

What about "Touch of Red"?

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

I hope you will finish the quilt- it is fabulous! I love the play of light in the background.

We have similar problems here in the Raleigh NC area with deer. The other big problem is with Canada geese that no longer migrate, but now inhabit every little pond as well as parking lots and front yards. Coyotes have also been spotted here, but I have never seen them.

I enjoy your blog and especially your pictures of your quilt collection.

meggie said...

I really love that little quilt!
People tend to forget about the wildlife that is affected by both fires & floods. The bushfires over here damage a lot of animals. Floods drive all the insects, snakes & other creatures out to seek higher ground.