Monday, November 17, 2008

Orange Co. CA fires 11-16-08

I took these pictures on Saturday as I was leaving to pick up Corky to stay with me one night. I had heard on the radio that there was a small fire in Brea that had just started.
Brea Fire
I drove out of my garage and had this view to my right toward Brea.

Three minutes later it was already out of control and growing - the black smoke indicates that whatever is burning is really burning and no water is being applied.

I drove west two blocks and the fire had really grown already.

I drove around again and the smoke almost filled the sky. This fire started two or three miles north of my house, but all of the land between here and there is developed, no open fields with dry brush and grass. The white smoke shows that the firemen have started getting water on the fire. But resources were already stretched beyond what they could handle, so a number of homes burned to the ground before any fire equipment could get in.

I drove down to Palm Drive and Rose Drive the closest major intersection about two blocks from my house and could see the wonderfully clear blue sky to the NE - between the Brea fire and the Yorba Linda/Corona fire.

Yorba Linda/ Corona Fire
This view of the Yorba Linda/Corona fire is looking SE beyond my house - about where Santa Ana Canyon opens up into the riverbed and the 'flat lands'. I took this at the same time I took the first photo at the top of this post.

This was the view as I turned 90 degrees to my right (South).

On the 91 freeway looking east into the mouth of Santa Ana Canyon.

Another view from the 91 Freeway. About a mile further on I transitioned to the Newport Fwy south (55) and followed this pall of smoke all the way to Long Beach. At Corky's house it was somewhat smokey, but downtown LBeach was worse and had started getting ashes. I packed up Corky and headed back to Placentia, as planned.

Just before we left, when it wasn't even sunset, I took this picture over Marine Stadium of the sun trying to shine through the thick smoke.

When we arrived in Placentia the smoke was very thick and the ashes were like snow. I didn't think either Corky or I could breathe that all night - most of my windows are the original forty year old single panes and they let in air, dust, ash and smoke. So, I threw some things in a big basket, grabbed my (always packed) overnight bag and we drove back to LBeach. This morning everything around Corky's house was thick with ashes - both white and black (the kind that carry embers, but not that many miles) it looked as if someone had sprinkle raw rolled oats everywhere. Just going out to do his business (at 4:15am because he refused to do it before we went to bed) made Corky's feet black. I used two wet cloths trying to get all the soot off. Later Corky's daddy cleaned everything with his power sprayer (using less water than a garden hose) and he washed my van which had been sitting out overnight. Nice guy! I drove home alone about 5pm (with a mask on) to see how the smoke and ash were here - didn't seem any worse than LBeach, unless I went outside. So, I am staying home and just not going outside. I had considered driving out to Lake Havasu for a few days, but would rather be home with my computer, projects, food and in my own bed!

The fires are still burning, but the winds from the NE have died down (but might come back) and the fires are burning up into the foothills where there are few structures - a lot of it is public preserve land and completely undeveloped (YET). The firemen are having a chance to at least sit down and have something to eat and maybe a nap before they go out again with strike teams to control hot spots. They are MUCH braver than I am.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Patty ♣ said...

Very interesting post Del!
I am glad you are safe and that someone helped you with the ash washing!

Louise in SW Saskatchewan said...

thanks for your description of the conditions in Long Beach. My dd lives in downtown LB and had only commented that it was raining ashes outside. My concern is somewhat relieved knowing that it is not that far from her apt building to the ocean!

Louise in SW Saskatchewan said...

thanks for your description of the conditions in Long Beach. My dd lives in downtown LB and had only commented that it was raining ashes outside. My concern is somewhat relieved knowing that it is not that far from her apt building to the ocean!

meggie said...

Living here in Autralia, I know how terrifying fires are. My heart goes out to all those people who have lost homes. It is never just the loss of a house, it is also, all the things that made it home, & often all the memories.