Friday, December 12, 2008

It isn't winter yet! 12-12-08

I am sure that all of you on the East coast don't agree, considering the terribly cold and icy weather you are having. however, the Winter Solstice isn't until December 21st. That is when winter begins!

After what I understand has been the warmest autumn ever in Southern California we have finally had some cooler night temperatures. The leaves that remain on the deciduous trees are finally turning colors. These are Crepe Myrtle, the loveliest of autumn colors. The bright red spots on the right in the background are Xmas decorations, but to the left between the houses the liquid amber also has autumn colored leaves.

"Autumn Lattice"
Del Thomas/Mary Leakey 2006 30.5W X 50.5L
I made this quilt for an exhibit at Back Porch in Pacific Grove. Actually, Mary made the lattice blocks from a design by Sandi Cummings. She didn't want them anymore and I could envision this setting, so I put them together, did the quilting and Mary hand finished the binding. I rather like this piece, but it didn't sell during the exhibit so it is living on my wall again. It is a Southern California autumn w/lots of green and sunshine with a minimum of colored foliage.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Christine Thresh said...

Autumn Lattice is a very California piece. You have captured our colors.
Nice setting.