Sunday, February 8, 2009

Lovely rain! 02-07-09

Since this string of storms coming down from the north Pacific started on Thursday we have added two inches to our total rainfall this year. I think it is now at 6.50 inches and there has been about two feet of snow in the local mountains. I know that people in other parts of the country have endured terrible weather this winter, but I can't help but rejoice in our current rainfall count.


This puddle reflects the clouds and also the trees in the little park behind our house. It is a puny puddle! When I was growing up just outside Portland, Oregon, all the streets in our area were unpaved. Huge puddles developed until someone 'raised the roof' and the county would come fill in the larger ones (with dirt). The lady on the next corner who kept big white geese objected to them filling in the 'pond' at her intersection because her geese enjoyed it so much. She had a mouth on her and the county passed her by. One of the neighborhood boys pushed me into that one once - I was more afraid of the geese than getting wet. They could really bite.



Ominous clouds over Garden Grove on the drive to Long Beach today.



And fluffy white ones piled up over the ocean.


I wonder what type of cloud this is. It certainly indicated fickle winds - perhaps it was involved in the rain spouts over the ocean.... one in Long Beach.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Carol said...

Del,
I loved the account of your neighbor who kept geese. What a great memory! Carol

Gerrie said...

We are coming down to the desert next week to dry out. I know you need rain, but I am escaping it. Going to se Visions, too!!

Louise in SW Saskatchewan said...

Since moving to this part of SW Saskatchewan, also known as Palliser's Triangle, I have NEVER complain about rain or snow, since the moisture is so needed here. they have been in drought or semi-drought conditions for a number of years and that affects the agricultural production here which affects a lot of folks who supply agriculture.