Thursday, February 12, 2009

Our favorite sushi chef 02-12-09

Yes, another wonderful meal at Fish in a Bottle- on Wednesday evening.

This is the chef who is usually working on Wednesdays and he rolls a great sushi roll. The hand on the right belongs to a guy sitting at the sushi bar who almost jumped out of his skin when my flash went off. I guess I might have warned him, but how could he not see a fat old lady in a hat with a camera to her eye? Standing right next to him?

The chef is checking that guy's order. You can see the Fish in a Bottle logo in neon behind the chef - in both pictures.

I confess I sometimes eat at other restaurants. This evening I went with my friends Mary and Joe from San Juan Bautista to Marie Calendar's. I don't know how far flung their locations can be found, but they started fifty years, or so, ago in Long Beach as just a pie shop with a Dutch door on the sidewalk where you rapped to alert a sales girl to open the top of the door and sell you a pie. They still have the best commercial pies I have ever tasted, but, you know, pie is a very individual taste. However, to my taste the crust is just right - always - and the fillings fresh and intensely flavored. Of course, I haven't eaten a slice of pie anywhere for about a year. Perhaps I am fantasizing! At any rate, no pie for us tonight, just comfort food - meatloaf, shepherds pie and shrimp and chips. Ah-h-h-h!

Tomorrow (Friday) Liz and I are driving out to Hemet for the Valley Quilter's QShow. It isn't a large guild, but they are quite prolific and make some charming quilts. We especially like to see all the fresh grass and blossoming orchards along the way, plus the gamboling lambs and colts in the green, green pastures. Images from our pasts revisited.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

meggie said...

I love Japanese food!!
Then again, I love food, fullstop!