Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Picture-less day 03-16-09

I was in a luncheon meeting today, stopping for errands afterward, and I didn't use my camera. It is amazing how digital technology has given so many people the chance to depict their world in ways never before possible. The TV ads showing children using pictures they have taken to make 'story boards' are an eye opener. The pictures I took in grade school with my little Brownie, all in black and white, were thrilling to me then, but less than nothing in this high tech world. I was mostly disappointed that what I could see by focusing my eye on a special detail was barely recognizable in the vastness of a printed photo. I spent a lot of the money I earned then for film and developing. I don't remember what either cost in that time, but I felt the 'pocket pain' with each photo disaster. Maybe every child needs a class, or at least a session, on 'how to see'. It would enrich their lives forever, adding details that just slip past most of us.
You had interesting comments on Pamela's quilt and my remarks about 'perfection'. I don't think I ever achieved perfection in anything, although for the first half of my years I strived for that. Then I decided I didn't want to make one perfect quilt or embroidery or...., but wanted the experience of just "doing" w/o the stress. However those previous years stayed with me and I have never been able to retrieve the naivete of childhood. As years pass, the stitches become more even and the corners more square until no thought is required. All of that will stay with me. But I would like to have the imagination I had when I was six or seven and the nonchalance of a teenager when I thought anything was possible. Ahh, yes! And the eyesight I had even ten or fifteen years ago. My only completely spontaneous quilt is one I made once when I was absolutely furious with someone. I grabbed a piece of fabric, slapped it on the cutting board, randomly cut a few pieces and slapped them on the design wall. Then another fabric, and then...... It is my favorite quilt of the "art" quilts I have made. Although it doesn't seem to put stars in any one's eyes it is important in mine. I would like to learn how to achieve that 'art' without losing my temper and I hope that studying with Pamela will help.

1 comment:

Christine Thresh said...

I would love to see your "absolutely furious" quilt.
That's a great story.