Sunday, March 15, 2009

Pamela Allen quilt from TCQC 03-15-09

The Cherry Picker Pamela Allen 2005 20"W x 25"L
I purchased this quilt from the FFAC Reverse Auction, Virginia Spiegel's fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. Here is Pamela's excellent statement that accompanied the quilt.
I had explored the theme of cherries before and convinced myself it was only because cherries happened to be in season at the time. However, picking cherries also had a connection to my past and my Mother's cherry trees. The year 2005 was a terrible one for me. My Mother died suddenly and horribly, my sister was diagnosed with lymphoma and my stepdaughter died two weeks before Christmas after a grueling illness. In retrospect, I think that is why my cherry picker has a somewhat dark and melancholy look about her and certainly the reason she has no hair. She seems to be staring forlornly out from behind the beauty of the tree.
The quilt is made from recycled fabrics for the most part. I have a small fabric stash with much of it coming from thrift shops. I enjoy the idea that my fabrics come with their very own history connected to someone I don't even know! Fabric pieces are collaged and raw edge appliqued, eyes are drawn with markers then bubble jet set printed on the computer, the hand is a real glove, and the quilting is a sinuous vine snaking through the garment. Artificial cherries and leaves finish the image.
This is one of the most fascinating quilts in the TCQC. Although I have friends who cannot stand having the haunting eyes looking at them, they don't bother me a bit! This is the first embellished quilt I purchased for the Collection and I had not thought about the storage problem. It really should not be rolled, so, it lives flat in an archival box w/acid free tissue - along with a few others that I bought without thinking. Since this purchase I have acquired other Pamela Allen quilts and I am looking forward to taking her class at Empty Spools/Asilomar next month. Who knows? She may succeed in loosening me from my many years of traditional quilt making - I still care how the back of my quilts look and want the bindings to be perfect.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

There is nothing wrong with caring how the back of your quilts look, nor having perfect bindings.
Your challenge - should you agree to accept it - do a quilt in Pamela's class but use your standards for workmanship!

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

As a "graduate" of two online art quilt classes with Pamela, I can assure you that you are in for a treat! Your quilt is wonderful.

Louise in SW Saskatchewan said...

I agree with Kay (I was basically going to say the same thing).

Early in my traditional quilting "career" I saw wonderful work by an artist who was workign in fabric. Her designs were awesome - the workmanship left things to be desired. It actually inspired me to not only make wonderful work, but to make it to the best of my ability.

I also took an Afro-American style quilt workshop from Roberta Horton in those early days..... some folks had a very hard time releasing their perfectionism traits to create in this style. I learned there is a time and place for both styles.

If the piece calls for wonky style that is fine. Poor workmanship is poor workmanship.

Loretta said...

Again, you've opened new doors of quilting for me..thank you so much. I too need to have points meet perfectly! However, now that we have perfect points and binding, etc., it is time to move on to what is stirring inside of us. For me, being able to express my feelings, thoughts through use of fabric will be much more satisfying. My points with always meet without my even trying! Thank you.

Christine Thresh said...

What a vibrant quilt. It takes my breath away. Wow!
Storage problems be darned -- it is worth the bother.
Have a wonderful class experience, you lucky girl.

Tristan Robin said...

What a terrific quilt!

I am the proud of owner of two of Pamela's embellished quilts. One is always hanging in the bedroom, but the storage for the one I can't display is a bit of a problem, as i can't be rolled. But I love them both!

I only worry about traditional profectionism (backs knots, bindings, etc.) on traditional quilts. On non-traditional quilts, I don't care one jot about those things - unless they detract from the piece in an unintentional way.

Kristin L said...

I'm with Tristan and Christine -- it's a wonderful quilt and if you love it, then you figure out how to deal with it (as you obviously have). Enjoy your workshop and consider it another tool in the toolbox, there when and if you need it. :-)

meggie said...

What a wonderful quilt. Somehow knowing the story behind it, makes it seem more special.
Enjoy your class!