Sunday, March 1, 2009

Quilt by Jill Rumoshosky Werner 03-01-09

"Discombobulated" Jill Rumoshosky Werner 2001 2"W x 9.5 YARDS L 2001

Hand dyed fabrics by the artist. Machine pieced and quilted http://www.wernerstudio.com/


Part of Jill's Emotions series, the name of this quilt means "upset, confused, frustrated". Appropriately, it can never be exhibited in exactly the same way twice. Although it has all the 'requirements' of a quilt, it steps into the realm of sculpture and challenges the viewer's concept of both quilts and sculpture. This quilt has traveled the country, appearing in museums, quilt shows and exhibits, including the prestigious Art Quilts at the Whistler in Lowell, MA.

When I first saw a listing for this quilt I thought there was a typo and it should have shown as 2"W X 9.5"L, but, when I inquired, Jill sent back an image of the quilt that explained the unusual measurements - 2" wide by 9.5 YARDS long is correct. I was amazed and enchanted, so I purchased the piece from her. It was traveling at the time and for several years spent more time in exhibits than it did in my house, which was fine by me. I think this is a ground breaking quilt that helps expand the way people think of quilts. It is always a topic of conversation and when I do presentations I challenge the audience to find something about it that is not a quilt. It has batting, is pieced, quilted, bound (hand finished on the back). It can lay on a bed, hang on a wall or be draped on a piece of furniture. When Jill showed it to a group of children as part of a presentation about quilts she had a group of them stand together and she wrapped the quilt around all of them to show that people could even wrap up in it! Some people will never accept this as a quilt, or as a work of art, but a few viewers are always 'won over' to the quilt view.

This quilt was displayed like this when it was part of the exhibit "Quilts from the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection" at the Visions Gallery of Art Quilts in San Diego in summer 2007.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

lindainbelgium said...

I have long been won over by Jill's work--I adore it. Good news to know you have one of her wonderful knotworks in your collection.

Linda in sunny Belgium (wow, is that rare).

Vivika said...

Jill's ribbon was an unexpected and welcome surprise this morning. I've seen her pieces before and love the way this one changes each time it is rearranged and displayed. This must be quite a challenge to store!

Rosemary@semo.net said...

Hi Del, it's good to know this piece has a good home with you. I curated an exhibit at the Margaret Harwell Art Museum in Poplar Bluff, MO., and Jill's piece was one of the invited pieces on exhibit. Jill came to the opening, and arranged it herself. I love the piece, too, and find it charming. Rosemary

Christine Thresh said...

You are a wonderful collector. This "quilt" is super. I am so glad you have it.