Monday, March 9, 2009

Quilt from TCQC 03-09-09

It was a very busy but wonderful ten days with Mary and Joe in San Juan Bautista. Lots of rain, but we weren't out in it much and when the sun was shining the hillsides were green, the birds were singing and the new little sprouts were 'misting' the trees. If you look just a little bit aside from straight on the leaves are there. It was great to visit our Asilomar friends and hit some of our favorite restaurants. I was having such a good time I didn't want to come home. But the drive home yesterday was also spectacular with miles and miles of blooming almond trees. More on that w/pictures another day.
"Oak Trees" Mary Leakey 1999 38"W x 30"L
This is a very special quilt for me because my good friend Mary made it using Ruth McDowell piecing techniques. And I was there to see it go together. The tree trunks are made of silk from the Talbots (ties) Outlet in Carmel Valley. [And now there is another Talbots outlet in Gilroys' huge outlet mall.] Mary and Joe live in an Oak tree woods with this particular tree growing in front of the house. It is such a quiet location up in the hills away from the 'flat land' hustle and bustle. Mary was a very good friend of Judy House of Virginia who attended Asilomar classes for many years, but unfortunately she succumbed to cancer in July of 2005. Judy is the one who talked Mary into taking the Empty Spools Seminars classes. So, I also owe her a debt for this gorgeous quilt.

3 comments:

Vivika said...

Hi Del-

I love having quilts in my collection from friends, too. They bring such happy memories. I am sure each time you see this beautiful tree your friend is smiling on you, too.

Vivika

Holly Knott said...

It's a gorgeous piece, Del. I love her choice of fabrics.

meggie said...

A really beautiful quilt!