Saturday, March 14, 2009

View from San Clemente 03-14-09

On Monday, Mar 9th, I went to a meeting at a house in the hills of San Clemente - beautiful area, gorgeous views. When I was driving down the hill to go home....

...three vultures came so close to my windshield I thought I was going to hit them. Something to be avoided as they are large enough and heavy enough to go right through the glass. But they glided over to the steep slope down to the freeway (I-5 again), so I pulled off in a parking lot to try for some pictures. Didn't have much luck. Above are two in flight. The ocean is off to the right of the frame.

And here is one of them alight on the chain link fence along the verge of the highway. There was a hawk around, but hawks eat live food, whereas vultures are the garbage collectors and only eat critters that are already dead. They are a valuable part of the ecology, even if they are ugly.

From the same vantage I took this view of I-5 looking west over the pacific Pacific. At this point there is a sharp down slope to the beach below.

Slightly further south I had this view over the wild mustard to the ocean.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: