Monday, April 6, 2009

Finally..... 04-06-09

A new-to-me vehicle. I have a tendency to drive my cars forever, unless a husband forces me to switch. Since there is no husband I have driven the Dodge Caravan for eleven years and the previous car, a Chevy Citation, for eighteen years. And I only gave it up because the transmission went out and my mechanic couldn't find even used transmission in a wrecking yard. Guess it was time,eh? I do love my vehicles - they are like comfortable old sweaters. However, the van has 219,000 miles and I worry about getting stuck out in the wilderness some place. My mechanic reminds me that even new cars can break down, but I think the chances are less than with a car of eleven years and all those highway miles. And the days when I could temporarily fix some problems with a screwdriver, a pair of pliers and a roll of duct tape are long gone.

This is a 2005 Lexus RX330 - a midsized SUV. Everyone has heard me talking about a Chrysler Town & Country for six or seven years. But I found that they only come in one length - long. If I parked one in my garage I would have to back it out in order to do the laundry or to get the mail out of the mail drop. More than I could handle at this stage of life.

I thought about the quietest cars I have driven and/or ridden in and thought I would check out a Lexus. When I drove one I could never tell if it was running or not - very quiet. I visited several different dealers, who were all so HAPPY to serve me, and I ended up at Tustin Lexus where I found this 2005 model in the perfect color. I'm not much of a bargainer and I suppose if I had taken a GUY with me he would have gotten a better price. I can only think that this "previously owned" car with all the bells and whistles is a little less than a brand new Town and Country with only a few perks.
I took these pictures in LBeach at Corky's house and think this one is interesting with the palm trees reflected on the hood.
This is a closer approximation of the color - maybe not quite so gold, but close. The one thing I miss already is the sliding doors on each side to provide access to the second seat. Of course, it will take months to get all the buttons and switches and touch pads and.... in my head. I may have to make a cheat sheet to refer to! My previous two cars had the shift on the steering column, but this car has it on the floor with the wipers on the steering column - so I wash the windows every time I try to shift. I find it irritating, but everyone else finds it hilarious - and I guess it is. I need to get up to speed so I can drive to Ohio in May - with the cheat sheet, of course.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

imquilternity said...

Congratulations on the new car! It's a beauty. I love the paint on the Lexus vehicles. I'm not quite sure how to explain it except to say it's perfect. Have fun driving.

Patty ♣ said...

Oh Del! We have a PT in about the same color, you will love it! You don't notice if it gets a bit dirty ! Ronnie does the same thing with the steering and wipers! His car has the shift on the column, so he is always washing my windshield, and I laugh!!! I think it is good for us to need to learn how to use new things! Congrats!!! Lovely choice!

Loretta said...

Del,
Your new car is beautiful. Congratulations. If you do well, perhaps I'll turn in my '93 Honda stationwagon in for something newer too. Happy motoring.

Corky said...

Congratulations on the new car Del! It's always a thrill to get a new ride. Hope you travel lots of fun places in it.

Rayna said...

It's a beaut - and the Lexus should last you another umpteen yrs. My husband has had his (sedan) for 11 years and it still purrs. Congrats - glad you did it! Safe and happy travels.