Friday, June 19, 2009

Deconstructed Screen Printing 06-15-09

Click on photos to enlarge.

Here is Rayna Gillman from New Jersey who does fabulous dyeing. She is in SCalifornia on a teaching trip and I snagged a spot in her two day class this past weekend in Fullerton (next town over from Placentia). She kept reminding us that there are no mistakes in this process - just opportunities to overprint, discharge, stamp, etc. until one is happy with the fabric created. I wish I could have gone on to the five day class she is doing this week at Quilters Studio in Newbury Park (northeast of Los Angeles). But I had already scheduled some things for the week and it wasn't possible. I KNOW they are having fun from the blogs I read.

Here are the "principals" in this event - from the left: Rayna Gillman, teacher; organizer Carol Henke; organizer Holly Lester. Out in the hall on a drying rack to Holly's left is a piece that I screen that reminds me of a horror movie or a massacre - it is so bloody red. But I can keep adding layers until I like what I have - or I can cut it up and use it for red pieces in a quilt.

This image is of a screen prepared for printing - it looked so great I thought I should have a picture of what I started with. I printed five images with the screen, each a little different, until there wasn't enough dye left to make much of an impression. I will post those five later so you can see a progression (or you can check on Rayna's blog right now). I didn't ask the other students if I could post their work on my blog, when I have secured their assent I will post a few pictures. However, Rayna has posted some excellent images.

Yes, it is Rayna and Del in the classroom. Rayna is wearing a hand dyed shirt made by a friend, but not using the methods we were learning. And I am wearing an original Rayna scarf that I had just purchased from her. I have worn with orange and teal and beige and they all looked great, I think it is an excellent addition to my "wardrobe".

See Rayna's work on her website: http://www.studio78.net
Read her blog at: http://www.studio78notes.blogspot.com
Buy her book "Create Your Own Hand-printed Cloth: Stamp, Screen and Stencil with Everyday Objects" - from C&T Publishers 2008 Or buy it directly from Rayna.

There are also photos on Cindy Cooksey's blog: http://www.cookseyville.blogspot.com


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Rayna said...

Glad your pix are finally up -- thanks! We match, don't we? Notice how happy I look in these photos.

Carol said...

Del,
This is a wonderful photo of you! I'm so glad you were able to post it.

Corky said...

I've been lax in my blog reading for a while and have just caught up on yours. I LOVE this photo of you and Rayna. The class looked wonderful.