Monday, June 15, 2009

Ruth McDowell quilt from TCQC 06-14-09

When the Jacaranda trees are blooming in SCalifornia I like to hang Ruth McDowell's "Jacaranda Tree" quilt and remember a lovely visit when I was her hostess in 1996. This post from my blog is from May 29, 2008


"The Jacaranda Tree" 1996 Ruth B. McDowell 45"W x 39"L
When Ruth came to Orange County, CA., in 1996 to present programs and workshops for guilds I was her hostess. When I picked her up at John Wayne Airport the first thing she said to me was, "What are those blue trees?" She was really animated about them. So, on her one free day we drove around looking at gardens and trees, especially Jacarandas. She took lots of pictures for reference and sometime in the next eight months she made this quilt. Of course, I HAD to add it to the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection and I am so glad I did. I think it is a terrific quilt and, additionally, it brings nice memories of Ruth's visit to Orange County.

Remember - Ruth's quilts are constructed using her piecing techniques. No applique or fusing in this quilt, however, she does occasionally applique a small piece or one that has a very sharp curve. Ruth is known for her use of plaid fabrics. She explains to her students that used on a horizontal or vertical plane they can simulate architectural elements, or used on various diagonal lines can indicate almost anything you want them to.
I do love Ruth's quilts and there are quite a few of them in the Collection. There would be more except sometimes I run out of money! Check out her website at: www.ruthbmcdowell.com

Here is a close-up of the blossoms. It is a difficult color to capture since it is blue-violet.
As the blooms start to fade the color becomes more red-violet.

Blossoms and seed pod. I know I have a better image of the pod - I just can't find it right now!


The best time to photograph the trees in bloom are on a dreary grey day where the color is not lost against a blue sky.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Patty ♣ said...

I Loved this entry!
I have been awestruck lately, gloomy days,and as I drive around the Jacaranda trees are all in bloom, as you say the gray skies are a perfect background. Another wonderful Ruth McDowell masterpiece!! Thanks for sharing all your wonderful collection !!!

Rayna said...

Ruth's quilt is lovely, but nothing can capture those trees - how lucky you are to be surrounded by them. When I got here last week, the first question I asked was also "what are those gorgeous purple trees?"
Thanks, as always - for sharing another piece from your collection.

Carole said...

Gorgeous!! Both the quilt and the Jacaranda tree itself.
We winter in Ca. but leave before this tree blooms.
Thank you for sharing this.
What fun you must have had with her.

Karen said...

Great trees Del, I have one in my backyard that is in full bloom right now. I'm looking forward to spending the next week with Rayna at her class at the Quilters Studio in Newbury Park. Karen

imquilternity said...

That is a gorgeous quilt! One of my favorite Ruth Mcdowell's for sure. The jacaranda's are so lovely...I love the carpet of lavendar they leave on the ground.

Anonymous said...

I booked Ruth to come this year to our guild for a lecture. She was great and her quilts were amazing.
Those trees are beautiful - nothing like that here in MA.