Monday, June 29, 2009

Sue Benner quilt from TCQC 06-28-09

"Marsh 11" Sue Benner 36"W x 18"L 2000
Hand dyed silk, cotton, rayon fabrics. Fused, machine pieced and quilted.
Sue has developed her style using fusible web that when heated with an iron “fuses” the fabrics together. She is respected for her highly developed color sense and freedom of line. This quilt was purchased at Thirteen Moons Gallery in Santa Fe, N.M., and is one of the few quilts I have purchased from a gallery. I would much rather establish a direct connection with the artists.
This is another special care quilt, since it is made of torn edge silk it continues to unravel on the edges of the horizontal strips. It is exactly what Sue intended. However, since I take it to show when I present programs I need to cover it with a thin layer of slick polyester fabric to prevent the ravels from snagging and unraveling even further. I always worry when I loan it to a gallery or museum that some helpful person will get out their scissors and try to trim off all the 'strings'. However, those around the edge are intended to be there. When Sue satin stitches the edges, she leaves the thread ends long to hang down - all the way around. It adds an extra point of interest to the piece and I have used the technique successfully on several of my own quilts. I think it is especially nice if little beads are strung on these dangling threads.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Diane Wright said...

"little beads strung on dangling theads,,,," what a good idea! It certainly accentuates the purposefulness of the threads. Thanks for another great piece. I'm doing my best not to envy your collection.

imquilternity said...

Ooooh...you are so lucky to own a quilt by Sue. I took a class with her and she is the most wonderful person in addition to being an incredible instructor. I absolutely LOVE her quilts!

Rayna said...

Not only is her work wonderful, she is a delight. I wish I liked to fuse.
Lucky you.

bbusbyarts said...

Wonderful!
love her work!
Betty Busyb