Saturday, August 1, 2009

QFestival LBeach #4 posted 07-31-09

Here are two more quilts from the exhibit "West Coast Wonders II".


I don't think this would necessarily have to be a redwood tree, It could be almost any long needle evergreen. But whatever it is, I think it is beautiful. I'm fairly certain that this quilt was purchased when I was talking to Vicky at the Festival table - the lady was torn between two quilts, she couldn't buy both. She went back and looked several times before deciding. I hope she can live with this quilt the rest of her life, I know I could.

If you click on this detail image you can see the raw edges and the great variety of green fabrics Carol used. Some are cottons, but there are rayon, silk, poly, etc. and the strips are cut.
This is the whole quilt - it is about 28"W x 38"L.

I met this quiltmaker when I was working at the SAQA table on Saturday morning. She was very proud to have a quilt in the exhibit. I think it was even more special because it depicts her grand girl and grand boy.

The colors are good enough to eat. She constructed a patchwork background - which has always appealed to me and makes me wonder why more quiltmakers don't follow suit.

She did a great job with the quilt wrapped around the children, it looks very dimensional. And the free motion embroidery is very well done.

This shows the patchwork ground and the bare grapevines.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Karen Stiehl Osborn said...

Hi Del,
Carol was working on two redwood quilts during her artist residency in February at Karey's place. I was thrilled to get to see them when I was there for their open studio. They are indeed wonderful pieces!