Sunday, August 2, 2009

QFestival LBeach #5 Posted 08-01-09

I am not the only one who was impressed with this quilt. If you Google "Karin Pierce" quilt (yes, IQA spelled her name incorrectly) you will find it mentioned in many blogs and flicker streams. However, I couldn't find a website for Karin - I was hoping to find more information about her and especially about this quilt.

I suppose she said what she wanted to say - but I hoped for much more. How did she decide on the quilting lines? Did she plan them or just start in and let her fancy dictate what to do next? Her hand quilting is quite nice and done in a contrasting thread - that takes some self confidence. She has quilted in branches and leaves and berries and whirligigs and a spider web. They are all mixed up as one might find them in a thicket where the owls hang out.

"Charming" is the closest I can come to describing it. Each owl has its own personality and all are hand embroidered. Look at the different colored feet and notice that some are "eared" owls - either short eared or long eared Some of the owls are holding snakes for their meal.

But this little guy on the end has a special mousy treat!

And there is always the amazement of all the hand work in this era of fusing, painting and machine stitching. I am truly impressed.

Do click on the images to see enlargements.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

dee said...

Hi Del,
I'm so glad you showed this. I've seen it several places and just adore it. It's so unique and wonderful. That woman has a super imagination and great talent.

Patty ♣ said...

This was one of the quilts that gave me a smile too!
The W's say bye-bye to Del...
They are half way to Sacramento now... They loved hearing from you!! I thought it was fun that they knew who you were right away at the guild meeting.I ran the A/C last night. Didn't want the travelers to get a bad night's sleep.It was humid!!

June said...

All great fun to see your photos of the Festival, Del. Many thanks. I just got to scroll through the whole set tonight and go back and look again; a real treat.

Loret said...

The red owls are truly wonderful. I, too, love the feet! I particularly like the artist/ quilter's philosophy regarding how and why she designs and completes her quilts, as she does -- personal and not technical! The hand quilting is lovely and provides an additional sparkle to the piece. Thank you for sharing.