Sunday, August 23, 2009

TCQC quilt by Rebecca Rohkaste 08-23-09

This quilt is another auction purchase. In even numbered years East Bay Heritage Quilters [guild] holds their quilt show [Voices in the Cloth] and silent auction of quilts made by members at the Oakland [CA] Convention Center. They have some very well-known quilt makers in their membership and some who aren't well-known who do fabulous work. I think the members of this guild offer the most original design and color work of any guild show I have attended. Great stuff and I try to go to every show. It is always in January, so watch for it in January 2010.WRONG! NO, next year the dates will be APRIL 10~11. I'm sure there will be some info on EBHQ.com soon.
You can check out the quilts shown in Jan 2008 at: http://www.ebhq.org/vic2008_1.shtml

"A Lunar Season" Rebecca Rohrkaste 1999 35"W x12"L


I have long admired Rebecca's quilts - they are always different and frequently use unusual color choices. This quilt is a small version of at least one large quilt with the same design. This one has hand dyes, shibori, commercial hand dye "look-alikes, commercial prints, batiks, a lovely mustardy brown woven ikat (above, left) and more exceptional fabric choices.

I love the inclusion of this fabric with a violet ground, pinky red flowers and black foliage. Only a very color confident artist would throw that one in the mix! The quilting appears to be done using #8 perle cotton thread. It is very even w/top and bottom threads in equal tension. Not an easy thing to do with a very thick thread.
Each block is composed of sixteen different fabrics - eight for the background and eight for the "moon".

Rebecca's colorful quilt "Big Red" was juried into Quilt National 2001

(http://www.dairybarn.org/quilt/index.php?section=226&page=277

She has taught quilt classes in the past at New Pieces Quilt Store in Berkeley, but I don't see her listed currently as one of their teachers. I would jump at the chance to take one of her classes. I do not find a website for her. But since I posted this page several people have sent e-mail and phone contacts for her. Thanks to all.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Sherry Boram said...

This is luscious, Del. Thank you for sharing it and the link to Rebecca's QN winning quilt. Thanks for the video, too. What a great start to a Monday morning!

Christine Thresh said...

Oh, I really like that quilt. I love to see quilts I never could have thought of in a million years.
You were smart to grab this treasure.

Meggie said...

I echo what Christine said! I was just thinking the exact same thing, wishing I had the mind to create such a lovely quilt!