Monday, September 28, 2009

TCQC quilt - Another Sunset 09-27-09

"Kimberley Sunset" Beth Miller 2006 31"W x 50"L (Canberra, Australia)
Fused applique, machine quilted. On holiday in the Kimberley region Beth took many photographs and based this design on one of them. She says, "During the North Australian wet season the spectacular Kimberley sunset silhouettes the squat, bloated shape of the baobab tree which appears to guard the vast landscape like a sentinel."
I purchased this quilt at Quilt Festival - Long Beach in July 2009, so you may remember it from the pictures I posted back then. I was so impressed with the flaming sunsets when I was in Australia decades ago that I remember them well.
I didn't realize how difficult it would be to photograph this quilt with the screaming background and the dark tree.
I faded this image out a bit so the quilting could be seen.
You can see more of Beth's work on her website: http://www.bethmillerquilts.com
Beth's work can also be seen on the tACTile website: http://tactilequilts.com/
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Sue Reno said...

This is a stunner--congrats on making it part of your collection.

Norma Schlager said...

What a beautiful quilt! I just went to her website. Wow, her work is amazing! Lucky you to own a piece of it.

Deborah said...

magnificent colors

June said...

And of course, Beth's piece fits perfectly into your current theme of sunsets. The blog as art -- the art in the blog.

Nice.

Del said...

The color gives me a GOOD buzz - wake up, wake up!! I think I am sunsetted out, but I still have the fiber postcards to finish. First I must finish the Surfside N/L which will be posted tomorrow.

Meggie said...

Love this quilt!