Friday, October 16, 2009

PIQF 10-16-09



I find the labels almost impossible to photograph clearly, but I am not willing to retype them into a new format and transfer that to Blogger. I think you can make out every word, even if the pictures of the labels are less than adequate.

Barbara has captured the feel of 1939 very well - I can believe that this lady is off to Catalina!

The eyebrows, the lipstick, the great hat - all are appropriate to the era.
I don't find a website for Barbara and the only work of hers I have seen before was traditional.

The Mancuso shows all have a theme, this year it was, "It's the Getting There...". So all the quilts supposedly express something to do with that. Some labels seem to have very little connection to the quilt, although this one slightly connects. One odd thing I noticed this year is that there were almost no teachers/designers credited on the labels. I don't know if this is something the Mancuso brothers have decided to do or that nobody (and I find this hard to believe) acknowledged the direct connection of their work to the teacher of a workshop or the designer of the original pattern that has been used - modified or not. I don't believe quilt makers should be anonymous, nor should their teachers or the originator of the design used.

Phyllis quilt won the Best use of Color in the Wall Quilt category.


This quilt has an irregular shaped bottom, so the white that you see is not part of the quilt, but the background drape.


A closer shot of just the pelicans. You may click on the pictures for a larger view.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Suzanne Kistler said...

Del, I am sitting here laughing. You have exquisite taste! Last year I bought Phyllis Cullen's SAQA piece. This year I bought Frankie's. Two of the quilts I was planning to mention in today's post are the two quilts you've posted. I think I will link to your blog, because your pictures are better than mine.

It was very good to see you yesterday. Wasn't the show spectacular?!!

Meggie said...

Both wonderful quilts! I love the pelicans.

June said...

Your photos of the artist statements came out perfectly clear. No trouble reading them on my screen.

I like the period feel of Barbara's a great deal. What fun.

Deborah said...

Great quilts with exceptional details!

Corky said...

What a thrill it was to see Barbara's quilt of Adele on your blog. I watched that quilt evolve in my Asilomar class. If I remember correctly Adele is Barbara's mother-in-law.

Thanks for the photos - it's always great to see a show through someone else's eyes.