Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Rain on I-5 10-14-09

Time for the Pacific International Quilt Festival! Which requires a drive up to Mary's in San Juan Bautista - it was unavoidable that today was the day. The first rain Southern California has had since last winter - February, maybe. When I posted last night it was already raining, but with the newer windows I couldn't hear it! Rain off and on all night and this morning, but not much wind in our neighborhood. I managed to diddle around getting ready and doing things I should have done days ago - my usual procedure for a road trip!

It rained through Pasadena and across the foothills (where the fires were so bad) along the 210 Fwy. Then I turned onto the I-5 and started up into the mountains when I hit REAL rain. But it didn't last long. In the Lexus the windshield wipers come on automatically when rain is detected - they are well trained as they came on periodically during the entire 5-1/2 hour drive!

At this point I could see the edge of the storm off to the northeast - the pavement is wet, but it is spritzing more than actually raining.

Down in the valley the clouds were low and slanting sunlight shining through the openings was quite lovely

The cotton is currently being harvested. Here is a truck loaded with one of those huge "bales" of cotton that I have shown previously lined up along the edges of the picked over cotton fields.
Not many cars on the road, but trucks, trucks and more trucks. Here is a row of nine. They kept pulling out to pass each other and the half dozen or so cars behind would pile up. I do think some truckers like to do this. Sort of "throwing their weight around."
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Carol said...

Hi Del,
Have fun on your road trip! My brother-in-law has a friend who is a trucker. He said they pass each other to keep from getting bored!

Christine Thresh said...

When I see the pictures you take through your windshield on the freeway, I shudder. I worry.
I know if I picked up my camera and tried to shoot a picture while driving I would go off the road. I drive where I look. When I look at my dials to see how fast I'm going I wobble around a bit.
You must have a steady hand and an ability to see all around.

Have a good time at PIQF.

Patty ♣ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patty ♣ said...

Hi Del!
I am happy that you were able to drive to PIQF in the rain..I really like driving in rain...I am also a little sad I couldn't go to the show this year ..I hope I can go next year!!

Corky said...

Del, I hope your visit to PIQF is wonderful. I sure miss that show - wish we had something like it close to me.

Be careful on your drive home. Corky and Corky would hate for you to have any mishaps!

Rayna said...

Blah - rain here, too - and it is COLD. You guys need it more than we do - it was a rainy summer in NJ.

Enjoy the show and don't push it.