Thursday, October 15, 2009

Pacific International Quilt Festival 10-15-09

This large quilt festival, known as PIQF, is held annually in Santa Clara, CA, which is near San Jose. I don't know how long I have been attending - maybe fifteen years. For about the last ten I have stayed with my friend Mary in San Juan Bautista, about an hour's drive south of Santa Clara, so that we could go together. We usually have one or two of Mary's friends along, but once we arrive at the show we agree on a time to meet for lunch and then split up to see the quilts at our individual pace. At lunch we decide what time we will head for home. This afternoon I was completely pooped out before I had seen very much of the show, so I waited for the others whilst sitting on a comfortable sofa in a quiet nook of the lobby. I hope I have more zip tomorrow, so with that in mind I will only post a few quilts I chose arbitrarily from the pictures I took today.

Karen has dealt with a serious illness in the past eight months, so I am happy to see one of her quilts.

The background is the curtain from which the quilt hangs. The quilt itself is just the nest hanging free from a branch. Since I am so enchanted with my "bowls" shape, with pieces cut in a similar manner, I am always interest in other artists work with the same shape. I wonder how this would look not on black, but on a wall color one would find in a residence - Navajo white, beige, yellow, etc.

Franki is a friend of several years and I am participating in a fiber postcard exchange she organized and directs - see: http://www.postmarkdart.com/. I purchased one of her Ginkgo quilts (15" square) last year at the Alliance for American Quilts online auction. It has a textured background and is very lovely.
To appreciate her excellent technique and the beauty of the materials she uses, you must see Franki's work
"in-the-fabric"
Here is a close-up that shows the intricate thread work on the leaves. I previously posted about Franki's work last year at: http://delquilts.blogspot.com/2008/10/more-piqf-quilts-10-22-08.html
More quilts from the Festival tomorrow and Saturday and.......??
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

jpsam said...

Looking forward to seeing the show on Saturday. Thanks for the appetizer. joan

Rayna said...

Glad you know when to sit down - quilt shows are exhausting. So far, thanks for the visual treats. I'm off to Houston in a few hours - had better go to sleep.
xo

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing my Bird Nest -- I'm going to the show Sunday. Appreciate your healing thoughts too. I'm feeling great and back to work in my studio and teaching!

Meggie said...

Visual treats, indeed! Thankyou.