Friday, October 23, 2009

PIQF #9 Multi-panel quilts 10-23-09

Diptych, Triptych, Sliced - all describe multi panel quilts. I few years ago I noticed how many of these quilts were showing up at the larger quilt shows I attended. I only photographed three this year at PIQF, although there were probably a few more. Contrary to general opinion I did not photograph each of the almost 1000 quilt at PIQF this year.
Carol has put a great deal of work into this piece and it is very striking.

Personally, I feel the bottom 'border' is a little heavy, but her quilt is the one that made it into the show which shows that the jury liked it. And also the judges - it did win a blue ribbon.
And when I have a list of the winners I will come back to this post and add it.

This makes me think of the "fern" ice that grows on windows in very cold weather.

I have posted an image of this slice quilt previously when it was introduced at the member's show at Back Porch Fabrics. I found it just as enchanting hanging at the PIQF special exhibit, "New Quilts From Northern California".

The black at the bottom is the backdrop showing since the bottoms of the quilts are staggered.

Here is another slice quilt of a scene that is known around the world. I think the quilt makers have done an excellent job of presenting the fanciful houses - the little details are wonderful.

It is amazing that the owners of these very old homes are willing to keep them up and in the style they were first built. It is striking to see them with the modern city rising in the background.

I took this detail of the two houses on the left end.

And Mary took this detail of the third from the left. The color is not correct, but I couldn't seem to adjust it to show the true color.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Meggie said...

I swear I can see Maxine peeping out of the window in the first panel!!