Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Ruth McDowell quilt from TCQC 10-04-09

My computer files on the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection have been chaotic for the past couple years. I never seem to find adequate time to do the data input, so this past two weeks I have had a nice college student doing it for me. She only worked on it when she had time, but all the information is now on one spread sheet. I haven't checked the list thoroughly, but I believe I have 22 quilts that have not been posted on my Sunday blogs. So, 22 weeks more of quilts from TCQC. Of course, I might buy a few new ones! Actually, I purchased seven at the SAQA online auction during the last few weeks, so make it 29 weeks left!

"Fort Morrison Jerseys" Ruth B. McDowell 2003 65.5"W x 46"L
Machine Pieced, Machine Quilted, Cotton Fabrics, Linen Fabrics, Cotton Batting
It is hard to choose a 'favorite' among Ruth's quilts, but this is high on my list. How does she use straight seam piecing and make things look so realistic? Sometimes when this quilt is on my wall I walk into the room and I am startled when I see cows looking at me. In 2003 Ruth wrote about this quilt: "A group of Jersey heifers in a shed at Fort Morrison Farm in Colrain, Massachusetts, gave me the photograph which I used for the drawing from which this quilt was made. The girl on the right was most interested in who/what I was, the others were hoping for a handout. The dark shadows of the shed with slanting light behind, and the repeated pattern of the stanchions make elements to combine with the personalities of the cows." Be sure to click on the image to see an enlargement.
The husband of one of Ruth's students sent a message via his wife, to tell Ruth that she has the structure and stanchions spot on. Which is high praise coming from a dairy farmer.
One additional interesting fact is that the fabric used for the yellow ear tags is the same fabric she used in her quilt "Lightning Strike" (seen in her book "Symmetry") made in 1982. An illustration of why one should never cull their fabric library.
"Fort Morrison Jerseys" is on Ruth's website under "Other Recent Quilts". www.ruthbmcdowell.com
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

dee said...

Ruth is such an amazing artist. I have loved her work for a long time. When I got one of her books I was fascinated with the technique she uses to represent the subject. It's all bits and pieces and in the end comes out looking so real.
By the way, I loved the sheep in your last entry. That's some great work as well.

Christine Thresh said...

Your collection is wonderful. This Ruth McDowell quilt is so marvelous. You know how to pick them.

Anonymous said...

Dear Del,
I look forward every week to your latest sharing. Ruth McDowell's work is completely above and beyond my own style, and is truly wonderful to see.

Thanks again,
Linda Laird
quiltlady@san.rr.com

Patty ♣ said...

Oh Del! Another one!!!! I don't even have a favorite, they are all spectacular!..I vote that the sheep are fiber art!! I Love them.
To be truthful, I would love them even more with a sheep face.

Meggie said...

Such marvellous reality from fabric!

Anonymous said...

Del, I saw this quilt hanging in Ruth Powers studio when I visited her about 3 years ago. It was on loan from the 'other' Ruth. It is amazing to see it up close and personal.

Gwynette
Quilting in NW Arkansas

Loret said...

Incredible...little more to say! Ruth's eye, construction, fabric, pattern development, etc., etc. is just incredible! Again, thank you Del for sharing.

Vivika said...

Del,

Ruth's quilts are technically amazing, yes, but they also are so emotionally moving. The eyes are so kind and winsome... just love it.

V

Kathleen said...

Love the bits of plaid.