Saturday, October 10, 2009

Winter birds 10-09-09

Birds are migrating south this time of year and some of them stay for the winter. This California Towhee may stay or he may fly on to better 'hunting grounds'. I will expect to see some yellow-rumped (Audubon's) warblers soon - they usually are not far behind the towhees.

Usually towhees are seen in pairs. But this one was alone, scratching and pecking under one of my rose bushes. I find them interesting to watch as they scuff up the debris to find food.

.
If you are accustomed to seeing the Rufous-sided Towhee you will find these plain cousins very plain indeed. Some-times they are difficult to see as they are so much the color of the ground. I have found that they are quite brave and if I am working in the garden they will come rather close. But any sharp movement sends them off into a tree or a bush.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: