Thursday, October 8, 2009

Tree Trimming Day 10-08-09

This large ficus tree grows in the neighbor's yard, but right at the top of the slope. I don't want anyone to take it out lest the rains take out the entire backyard (and theirs also), so every year I have it trimmed along with a few small trees in the front yard. This is a year's worth of leaves, even with the drought.

Same tree, same location - minus the leaves. The tree trimming crew that comes is always very efficient and they clean up all their trimmings and cart them away. This time of year is a good time for trimming so that the head of the tree is open when the Santa Ana winds blow. I enjoy the shade I get in my kitchen during the hot summer months, but summer is almost gone. I think it is amazing that they can trim the tree so symmetrically.

I'm never sure which side of the tree is more dense - my yard on the left and Mark's yard on the right.

We will both have to clean our gutters - I have to have it done because I am not safe on ladders.

I think from Mark's backyard the tree seems more 'controlled' - don't know why.

Now this is his view looking north toward my yard. I don't think he receives any benefit from the tree, so it is nice that he is willing to let it grow.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

dee said...

what a beautiful tree. With or without leves it's so....artistic looking. Looks like it would make a lovely painting.

Rayna said...

The only ficus we see around here are the ones that grow in pots; we call them leaf-dropping trees. I have one that has not grown in 14 years beyond what it was when we got it. The one you show is wonderful! Methinks that bare tree would be a great screen!

Christine Thresh said...

Tree trimming is so expensive. We have our neighbor's willow tree and our mulberry tree cut back every year and it usually costs around $700. This year, on June 9, we had to cut down our fig tree on our lot next door because another neighbor complained that it was bothering her. That cost $600.
It is about time for tree trimming again, ugh.

Meggie said...

That is a wonderful tree. It is horrible to think we have to be inconvenienced by trees, when they are so wonderful.