Sunday, December 6, 2009

Quilt by Angie Hodapp posted 12-06-09

Quilt Auctions always get my attention, especially online auctions to benefit a cause, or an organization, that I wish to support. Alliance for American Quilts, Studio Art Quilt Associates, Virginia Quilt Museum are among those organizations I support. The 2009 Alliance quilt auction occurred a few months ago. See all the quilts in the auction http://www.allianceforamericanquilts.org/projects/galleries/My%20Quilts/Our%20History/gallery/

"Spreading My Wings" Angie Hodapp - Lakewood, Colorado - 2009 15"W X 15"H Fusible applique, free-motion quilting, decorative machine stitching, hand embroidery

Angie's statement about this quilt: My sister and brother are both very talented artists, and as the youngest, I always wanted to be like them. It wasn't until I started quilting that I found my medium. Quilting came naturally to me, and whether I am making a traditional quilt or a contemporary art quilt, it has truly allowed me to spread my wings.

This detail shows some of Angie's hand embroidery.

This detail shows Angie's machine quilting and the original use of decorative machine quilting.
Why did I choose this quilt? I like the circular design placed inside a square, the symmetry of the lower portion, and the asymmetry of the top portion, the color, the crisp look of the edges, and the use of the multicolored thread for the machine embroidery on the binding.
I found this item about Angie on the Quilters Newsletter Magazine website:
Angie Hodapp - Editor-in-Chief - I grew up in a house where a needle, a pincushion, a button, a spool of thread, a crochet hook, a skein of yarn, a scrap of fabric, or a pair of scissors was always within arm's reach. My mom taught me to use here sewing machine when I was only five - although I wasn't allowed to use the rotary cutter until I was much older - and gave me free rein to stitch whatever little projects I could imagine. It wasn't until I was out on my own that I made my first quilt, but once I started quilting, I didn't look back. While traditional patchwork and reproduction fabrics are my first loves, I have a great appreciation for the innovative quilts of today's contemporary fiber artists and I also enjoy experimenting with paint, dye, embroidery and other surface-design techniques.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Terry Grant said...

What a great little quilt!

Meggie said...

That is a lovely quilt!