Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Long day today 01-19-10

This photo is just for atmosphere - it was not taken today, but in June 2005 on a highway in Colorado. Today's rain was 100X as heavy!
This morning I was in San Clemente at the board meeting and then had lunch down there. That put me right in the middle of the 'weather spectacular' - tornado warnings and all! I wasn't sure if I was going to drown, blow away, be smashed by a falling tree or just flip my lid and run for the hills! The rain was comparable to what I experienced in Missouri and Indiana a few years ago - 2004 and 2007 - which chased me off the Interstate to find a place to hideout until the storm cell blew through. I almost got off I-5 at Junipero Serra, but there are a lot of trees just off the right side of the road and they were whipping like they were doing a St. Vitus dance. I was afraid the branches, or even the whole trees, would come down on me. Everyone was just crawling along, so I just crawled along with them. Big wreck at I-5 and Jamboree, so I got off at Culver and cut over to Irvine Blvd and thence up Jamboree. I frequently take Jamboree when I am traveling at high traffic times and I knew it would be clear. And it was. The sun came out and I had to put on my sunglasses. So much wetness - the glare was terrible. More of the same is predicted for tomorrow. AND Thursday. Rainy, stormy days are good to stay home and sew - right?
# # #

5 comments:

dee said...

welcome to my world. Glad you're safe and sound. Stay in an sew-it's the perfect excuse.

Suzanne Kistler said...

Yes, rainy stormy days are the best to stay home and sew!! I'm skipping today's NCQC meeting that I'd planned on attending, just because of the wild and wacky weather. We, too, are having tornado warnings in the valley. It's the craziest thing...
But we LOVE the water!!!

Meggie said...

I really dislike driving in the rain. As I left my daughter's on Sunday, we had a cloudburst from a sudden thunderstorm. It was almost impossible to see, and it only last about 10 minutes. I got drenched just dashing from my car to the door- a few feet!

Rayna said...

Yes, stormy days are the best for staying in and sewing -- or ironing. Or both! Stay safe, dear Del.

June said...

Glad you made it home OK. This doesn't sound like the sky puddling but rather pi--ing. With lots of other events at the same time.

Sleep soundly after such an adventure.