Friday, January 22, 2010

More weather 01-21-10

When I came out of my appointment about 3pm the wind was really whipping the trees around, but it was not raining. There were two helicopters hanging in the sky (one is just barely visible over the 2nd palm from the right) - how do they do that? I can only guess they were news choppers because they both left about the same time. There are colorful pennants on wires over the used car lot, but they are flying sideways so don't show in the picture.
As I drove into my garage the rain started pounding down, though the sun was shining to the west.

I wondered if my neighbor realized that all that water was overshooting his downspout and cascading right into the back of his pickup! Since he was at work there was nothing I could do.

Tuesday when I came home it was too dark to see out in the backyard, but Wednesday morning I looked out and saw that we had a lake that had drained away, leaving a high water mark on the retaining wall. Looks like it was between five and six inches deep.

Today, after the downpour stopped, I checked out back again and the backlog wasn't quite so deep. I do worry sometimes about how much this wall can take - when it was built I thought they were digging for China! The building inspector came twice and insisted that the foundation needed to be deeper - perhaps he knew what he was talking about. You can tell how steeply the slope drops off on the other side.

This was also Wednesday looking over the slope and flood control channel into the park. I fear that all this water will be too late to save the coastal redwood trees which have been so stressed from three years of drought. There are some deodors mixed in, but they seem a bit more drought resistant - not much, though.
The storms will continue today but the weekend should give us a few days for the water to soak in, then another storm front approaches. One interesting fact learned from the TV weatherman is that SCalifornia has more tornadoes than any other area west of the Rocky Mountains. I experienced one more than twenty-five years ago when we lived in Fullerton and it left me with a very healthy fear. Guess I'd rather have an earthquake - they are, at least, familiar!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope the fear of mudslides doesn't materialized with the devastation they entail.

On a brighter note, think of how the Antelope valley will be if it is getting any of this watery largesse. :)

Suzanne Kistler said...

I agree with your preference for earthquakes over tornadoes. Every time I stop in the Denver airport, I have a mini-freakout over the tornado shelters. I am always relieved when I'm back in the air, safely away from the blatant reminder.

June said...

I now live in an earthquake zone, where I moved to from the (Kansas) tornado alley. I prefer tornadoes, myself. But I now live in a big old tall two story house with a brick foundation -- we have (exorbitantly expensive) earthquake insurance.

I'm impressed by the high water marks, Del. Perhaps it was just as well you didn't see the water rising. "How high's the water, Mama? Six feet high and risin'"
I am a Johnny Cash fan -- remnants of another life.

Louise in SW Saskatchewan said...

my dd had to leave work early in LA on Wed since her building lost power due to storm(s). She posted a photo of a flooded intersection by the Staples Centre. On her train ride home she said she saw one of the LA river canals close to the top..... freaked her out.

Christine Thresh said...

I am glad you have a sturdy wall with deep foundations. That high water mark is quite impressive. I did not realize you lived in an area with slopes. I pictured you in a flat tract.